Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Up in the night

It's one of those nights when mind and body won't let go of the day and allow sleep to work its magic.

I complain about insomnia, but sometimes quiet solitude is a blessing.

I'd rather be sleeping, of course. But since I'm not, I can take the time to write a bit. Or to read what I didn't find time to read during the day. I played my turns on the Facebook Scrabble games I have ongoing with my son Zachary in Philly and my sister Dawn in West Valley. I'm even contemplating a bit of sewing. I'm four quilts behind on the wedding gifts I owe to my sweet nieces and nephews who put up with my well-intentioned plans that take months or years to morph into actual quilts. I want each of them to have one, though. So I'll do what I can.

Today I was grateful to be working at home. My frequent treks to the bathroom would have created a much bigger problem in an office or on the road today. Here, my work hours are flexible. And my laptop is portable, so I can move closer to the restroom when I need to. I wasn't really uncomfortable through it all today. Just sort of wiped out, the way most people probably feel after struggling with diarrhea.

It's under control, at least for now, thanks to Loperamide and a liquid dinner. But the audible rumbling and gurgling emanating from my tummy is warning me the calm won't last. I feel hungry, and I'm tempted to go snack hunting in the kitchen, though I'm not sure I want to stir things up again and become a frequent flyer up the stairs like earlier today (or technically, it was yesterday). It's hard to imagine eventually sleeping, though, with this hunger.

Either way, I'm going to be awake a while. Hopefully, you are snuggled and snoring in your bed!

Time for a mid-night snack. :-)

- Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment